System of NonLinear Inequalities

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg48511] System of NonLinear Inequalities
  • From: "maurizio lisciandra" <lisciandra at>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 04:49:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Dear Friends,

I tried to solve the following system of nonlinear inequalities with
Mathematica 5.0:

F < (1/2)*[a^(x/(2 - x))]*[x^(2/(2 - x))] &&
(2*a*B)^(x/2) + F - B > (2*a*F)^(x/2) &&
F > B > 0 &&
0 <= a <= 1 &&
0 < x < 2.

I tried with Reduce, SolveInequality, SemiAlgebraicComponent, FindInstance,
but all these function do not solve it. I tried to substitute x for some
fixed value, but again I cannot solve it. The only value that I can
substitute for x is 1, and in this case the solution is an empty space. I
may be happy if I find a value that solves the system, although I really
need for which inetervals in the variable this system is not an empty space.

Hope some nice Mathematica expert can help me.

Maurizio Lisciandra
Trinity College
Cambridge (UK)

Ricerche online più semplici e veloci con MSN Toolbar!