Re: PlotPoints in plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48594] Re: PlotPoints in plot
  • From: "Peltio" <peltio at twilight.zone>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 19:58:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Paul Abbott" wrote

>>How to get a polygon of straight sides in the
>> unparametered Plot?
>
>I am struggling to understand _why_ you would want to do this?

My guess is that the OP wants to exert the maximum control over the
procedures he is using. Sometimes Mathematica is "too smart" for the casual
user. Most of the times the hidden work done by Mathematica is welcome, but
sometimes it can be too 'invasive' and spoil the expectations of a user
accustomed to less sophisticated software.

Other instances of Mathematica doing some hidden work on behalf of the user could be
the way N acts from version 3 onward. The adaptive increase in
WorkingPrecision could lead to unexpected (albeit better) results if the
user is not aware of this.
(I want to make clear that I am not surmising that any of this is
undocumented, only that the casual user might not be aware of those yet).

As for the OP's question I'd say that a more 'conventional' way to plot a
function graph without having Mathematica choosing the points is to create a vector
of x-values, apply the function to them and then to use ListPlot with
PlotJoined->True to show the line connecting the {x,y} pairs.

cheers,
Peltio
--
Invalid address in reply-to. Crafty demunging required to mail me.