Creating combinations from a group of sets

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg48679] Creating combinations from a group of sets
  • From: Jeanette L Domber <Jeanette.L.Domber at>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:43:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I have a group of sets:

I wish to create all unique combinations of the sets that contain exactly one element from each set:

In all, there should be 12 combinations.

If I use KSubsets giving it a list {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8} to create combinations containing 4 elements, I get a list of 70 combinations, 58 of which are extraneous to my application.

Does anyone know how to manipulate the functions in DiscreteMath`Combinatorica` to accomplish this efficiently?