Re: 3D plots from lists

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg48744] Re: [mg48706] 3D plots from lists
  • From: Christopher Purcell <christopherpurcell at>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:59:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Here is a simple example where a text file of triplets of numbers are
created. These are read back in, an Interpolation of them is created,
and then we can plot the Interpolation function as a surface. Is this
what you had in mind?

testdata = Flatten[Table[{x, y, Sin[x y]}, {x, 0, 6, .3}, {y, 0, 6,
.3}], 1];
Export[ "junk.txt", testdata, "Table"];
stream = OpenRead["junk.txt"];
data = ReadList[stream, {Number, Number, Number}];
f = Interpolation[data];
  ParametricPlot3D[{x, y, f[x, y]}, {x, Min[data[[All, 1]]],
     1]]]}, {y, Min[data[[All, 2]]], Max[data[[All, 2]]]}]

P.S. If your Fortran created data set uses E format, you may need to do
a fancier read of the data, using StringToStream and Read, rather than
the simpler ReadList.

christopherpurcell at