Re: (**) comments highlighted - newbie

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48755] Re: (**) comments highlighted - newbie
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 03:14:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <cagibh$i8u$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net> wrote:

> You can select a comment and then change the color via the Menu/Format/Text
> Color item. I don't think you can have them automatically change color.
>
> Also, in my opinion, there is a flaw in Mathematica's use of comments. If
> you select a cell and change it between forms, say from StandardForm to
> InputForm or TraditionalForm, the comments are thrown away. So if you ever
> do any of that, your careful efforts at commenting will all be lost.

While we're on this topic, it would also be nice if one could Merge a
sequence of Input and text or header cells, starting with an Input cell,
and have all the non-Input cells be auto-converted to comment lines.

I like to develop and test longish routines by coding them as one Input
cell per statement so I can step down through the routine one cell at a
time, together with occasional comment cells in header or text format
interspersed between these input cells to remind me of what I'm doing.

(*--I guess I could put the (* *) labels on the comment cells from the
start -- but why not let Mathematica do the work?--*)