Page breaks and numbers don't seem to work

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg48816] Page breaks and numbers don't seem to work
  • From: "Robert Boeninger" <robert at>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 04:07:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

  As a newcomer to Mathematica, I am unable to figure out how to do
something very simple - have the page numbers display correctly (on the
lower left of a page), and have the pages print out with pagebreaks at the
same locations indicated by the page tick-marks in the on-screen notebook. I
have tried every conceivable thing to get this to work. This must be a very
elementary thing to accomplish, wouldn't you all agree?

    I'm dealing with a pure text-Syle notebook using Mathematica 5.0.

1) When I scroll down the document slowly, the page numbers are displayed in
the lower left of the window. The complete sequence of page numbers, for me,

2,  5, 6, 10

The page tick-marks are nicely displayed on the RH side. I don't have any
confidence that if I printed out this document, the page breaks would match
the tick marks, but which is what I would like to have happen, so I can tell
beforehand where the page breaks will occur.

Similarly screwed up seems to be the process of writing out a Postscript
file. It invariably misses lots of the text and math entries, after paying
due attention to all the cute font-inclusion tricks, yes, I know ALL about
that, but to no avail.

Thanks very much for any help,

Daria Boeninger