Re: Substitution ignored?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48840] Re: Substitution ignored?
  • From: "Peter Pein" <petsie at arcor.de>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:13:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Jos R Bergervoet" <Jos.Lastname at Companyname.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:cam69k$qiu$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
> >
> > On 12 Jun 2004, at 12:59, Jos R Bergervoet wrote:
> >
> > > Dear MathGroup,
>
> > Actually both of these are examples show that you have not bothered to
> > read the documentation for Plot
>
> My only available help is the help browser on the computer system
> here (at Philips Research lab) and it does not answer questions
> like "why is Plot ignoring substitutions?"

> Thank you!
>
> -- Jos

Jos,

don't expect (simulated) intelligent behaviour from the help browser.
In the help browser enter Plot into the field right to the "Go To" button
and press enter or click onto the "Go To" button (or mark the word "Plot" in
your notebook and press the help key (F1 under Windoze)). You'll get a help
page which states (among other things):

Plot evaluates its arguments in a non-standard way (see Section A.4.2). You
should use Evaluate to evaluate the function to be plotted if this can
safely be done before specific numerical values are supplied.

--
Peter Pein, Berlin
to write to me, start the subject with [