Problem rendering fonts (?) in mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg48884] Problem rendering fonts (?) in mathematica
  • From: Analabha Roy <aroy_802701 at>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 05:31:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

 I'm running mathematica on Linux mdk 10. Now, everything works fine in shell mode but when I try to use the GUI, all sorts of funny things happen...
The backspace key doesn't seem to work. Whenever I press backspace or delete, I get a bunch of squares.
see screenshot of problem at
Also, the shift+enter dowsn't work, although evaluations can be carried out from the "kernel->evaluate" menu in the GUI
 Is it a problem with the font server not knowing the path to a font that mathematica nneds, or do I need to install a praticular set of fonts?
Please lend some guidance as to where I should start to diagnose what's going on.