Re: Named Patterns in Switch

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg48961] Re: Named Patterns in Switch
  • From: "Peltio" <peltio at>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:58:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

"David Park" wrote

>Here is an attempted routine using Switch that does not work.
>    foo[expr_] :=
>     Switch[expr,
>            (a_.)*x^(n_), a,
>            (a_.)*y^(n_), n]

>    foo[3*x^3]
>    a (I was hoping for 3)
>Switch uses patterns, but any named patterns are useless. So the a in the
third argument in Switch has nothing to do with the a_. in the second

Sadly True.

>Is there some Mathematica construction that will test successive patterns
with names, do a calculation with the first match and use the names in the

A list of rules, maybe.

    foo[expr_] :=
         expr /. {a_.*x^n_ -> a, a_.*y^n_ -> n}

We can stuff the rules into Switch if we like:

    foo[expr_] :=
            a_.*x^n_, expr /. a_.*x^n_ -> a,
            a_.*y^n_, expr /. a_.*y^n_ -> n

It does not look elegant, but it should do its dirty work nonetheless.

Invalid address in reply-to. Crafty demunging required to mail me.