Solution sketch sought for User Input (beginner's question)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47004] Solution sketch sought for User Input (beginner's question)
  • From: Marc Heusser <marc.heusser at CHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 03:50:16 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm using Mathematica (4.2 on Mac OSX, if that makes any difference) to
evaluate clinical (medical/psychological) tests.
Many of them ask some questions (eg 90), and want answers as numbers (eg
1-5). From this you produce some kind of index or chart (ListPlot).
I've programmed the logic of one of these tests and it works.

Now comes the user interface part for 3 scenarios of how to enter the
data:
1 The patient gets the questions on the computer and clicks on answers.
2 The patient gets a sheet of paper and marks the questions there.
2a I enter the answers in a good way (clicking, typing) and get the plot.
2b Someone else types the answers, and sends me the file to be processed.

Especially for scenario 1 I'd appreciate hints from experienced people
of how to do it (ie which functions to use etc) as I have no experience
with that kind of user interface in Mathematica Frontend.

Mathematica should present a table like that to the user:

Title matter (explaining when to mark 1-5 etc)

Q1: Do you have difficulty getting up in the morning? 1 2 3 4 5
Q2: Is you interest in your hobbies reduced? 1 2 3 4 5
etc

The list of questions is too long to fit on one screen when the
questions are presented. The user should be able to click the answers
and get some kind of visual feedback which answer has been chosen. Also

It will typically generate a ListPlot (to be printed, to be converted to
..pdf and sent via e-mail etc). Hints on how to automatically print and
convert to .pdf appreciated too.

TIA

Marc

PS: I put my code from one test on
http://www.heusser.com/pub/mathematica/SCL-90R-V10Example.nb
Currently I enter the data manually as an expression
(see musterpatient = {?})

--
Marc Heusser
(remove the obvious: CHEERS and MERICAL...until end to reply via email)