RE: Question on Ordering

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47030] RE: [mg47007] Question on Ordering
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 05:18:42 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hywel,

When one wants to combine two equal length lists to produce a new list in
the same order, the command to use is Inner. Here is an example for your
type of plot.

alist = Table[Sin[2\[Pi] x], {x, 0, 1, 0.05}];
blist = Table[x, {x, 0, 1, 0.05}];

plotdata = Inner[{Hue[#2], Point[{#2, #1}]} &, alist, blist, List];

Needs["Graphics`Colors`"]
Show[Graphics[{AbsolutePointSize[4], plotdata}],
    Frame -> True,
    PlotLabel -> "Rendering Controlled by x Value",
    ImageSize -> 450,
    Background -> Linen];

Just for fun, here is another unconventional use of Inner: dividing one
equation by another.

eqn1 = a x == b;
eqn2 = c y == d;

Inner[Divide, eqn1, eqn2, Equal]
(a*x)/(c*y) == b/d

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Owen, HL (Hywel) [mailto:H.L.Owen at dl.ac.uk]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

I have two sets of data A and B of the same length, that I'd like to plot
one against the other - this is easy of course:

ListPlot[Transpose[{A,B}]

What I'd like to do next is to colour each point according to the value of B
(or A in principle). The points are easily generated using:

Point[#]&/@Transpose[{A,B}]

And if I have a list of colours C I can do something like

{Hue[#]&/@C,Point[#]&/@Transpose[{A,B}]}//Transpose//Graphics//Show

The question is how to generate the list of colours C. Note that I don't
want to sort A and B, since I want to leave them alone to plot {A,D}, {A,E}
later on.

I tried various combinations of Ordering[] and Position[] but didn't get
anywhere. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks,

Hywel

Hywel Owen                                      h.owen'at'dl.ac.uk
Accelerator Science and Technology Centre
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington WA4 4AD, UK
Tel: +44 1925 603797 Fax: +44 1925 603192
This email is confidential. If you have received this email in error, you
are in notice of its status.
Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this
message from your system. Please do not copy or use it for any purposes, or
disclose its contents to any other person: to do so could be a breach of
confidence.
Thank you for your co-operation.

If this message contains information that you have requested from us please
see our standard notice for details of how you may use that information. If
the notice is not attached and you require a copy please contact the FoI
Officer by emailing FOI-Officer at cclrc.ac.uk <mailto:FOI-Officer at cclrc.ac.uk>
or visit our web site <http://www.foi.cclrc.ac.uk>,

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and
may not necessarily reflect the views of CCLRC.