Building a list

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg47114] Building a list
  • From: Mark Coleman <mark at>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 03:56:00 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I've got a relatively simple function f[a_,b_,c_,d_], where a and b are
integers and c and d are lists (of reals), and f returns a real.

I need to evaluate f on (potentially long) sets of lists and calculate
a square "matrix" from the possible permutations of the elements in the
lists. For instance

I need to calculate

Note that f[a,b,c,d] does not equal f[a,b,d,c].

My first reaction was that Outer[] might do this, but I cannot seem to
get it to work. I'd appreciate any suggestions.