Do Modules Produce Side Effects?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47964] Do Modules Produce Side Effects?
  • From: Harold.Noffke at wpafb.af.mil (Harold Noffke)
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 01:08:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

$Version "5.0 for Microsoft Windows [2000] (November 18, 2003)"

MathGroup:

The MathBook definition of Module tells me, "Module creates new
symbols to represent each of its local variables every time it is
called."  I am led by this, and other Module descriptions, to conclude
Modules do not produce side effects, like Blocks do.  However, we have

In[1]:= m=i^2
Out[1]= i^2

In[2]:= Module[ {}, m=4; 2*m ]
Out[2]= 8

In[3]:= m
Out[3]= 4

I expected m to remain unchanged from its original i^2.  But Module
changed m to 4, just as I would expect a Block to do.

Am I misunderstanding something about the "side effect safety" of
Modules?

Regards,
Harold