Re: Remove["Global`"] ??

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg47967] Re: Remove["Global`"] ??
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 01:08:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <c72eaf$pj$1 at>,
 Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at> wrote:

> I am guessing you are trying to remove all symbols from the Global` context.
> If so, should have typed Remove["Global`*"] instead of what you did type.

I'm in the habit of putting  Remove["Global`*"]  as the first expression
in the first evaluatable cell of my notebooks, so that reevaluations of
the entire notebook produce a (more or less) clean start.

In earlier versions of Matheamtica, this did not produce an error.  In later
versions it produces an error on the first evaluation of a freshly
opened notebook.  The workaround is to use  x; Remove["Global`*"]