nonlinear theory of elasticity question using Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48076] nonlinear theory of elasticity question using Mathematica
  • From: Anatoly Vershinin <versh1984 at mail.ru>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 05:19:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello. I'm a third-year student of Moscow State University,
mechanical and mathematical faculty.
My coursework is connected with solving tasks of nonlinear theory
of elasticity using Mathematica. Specifically, I study a theory of
superimposed large deformations in plane elasticity. I wrote a
program which calculates tensor of tensions at plane with
elliptical hole, strained by forces at infinity.
 All calculations are symbolical (the answer is a function,
depending on x and y).
Because of huge formulas, long mechanical expressions, complex
operations e.t.c my program is VERY slow. For example, to get
satisfying results I must wait about half a day. But my task
considers only one hole! And it must be developed to multihole
cases. Now it's impossible.
I have thought about that problem. The only way out, that I can see
now, is to convert my program to C++. It's known that compilators
are much faster than interpretators. But I don't know how to
perform it. Is it possible? May be you can advise me other ways to
speed up my program or know somebody who can answer this question.
I'll send you my program, if you wish it. I'll be glad to hear any
proposals. Thanks a lot.
--
Best regards,
 Anatoly                          mailto:versh1984 at mail.ru