Re: Eliminate duplicates using Union [] in a

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48112] Re: [mg48063] Eliminate duplicates using Union [] in a
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 00:09:02 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm not sure as to how to use Union in your problem. I would proceed along
the following lines (off my hat). Suppose you have the list "records" where
the fields of interest are 4 and 5:

In[1]:=
records = {{a1, b1, c1, d1, e1, f1},
    {a2, b2, c2, d2, e2, f2}, {a3, b3, c3, d3, e3,
     f3}, {a4, b4, c4, d1, e1, f4},
    {a5, b5, c5, d3, e3, f5}};

In this example record #1 and record #4 have the same elements in field 4
and 5, and records #3 and #5 have the same (albeit different from the
previous ones) elements in fields 4 and 5. Now make a sublist with elements
4 and 5 of "records" and Sort and Split it to obtaind the pairs of
duplicates (it could be triplets or whatever):

In[2]:=
subs = ({#1[[4]], #1[[5]]} & ) /@ records
Out[2]=
{{d1, e1}, {d2, e2}, {d3, e3}, {d1, e1}, {d3, e3}}

In[3]:=
x = Split[Sort[subs]]
Out[3]=
{{{d1, e1}, {d1, e1}}, {{d2, e2}},
{{d3, e3}, {d3, e3}}}

Here we see that there are two subsets with duplicates:

In[4]:=
Length /@ x
Out[4]=
{2, 1, 2}

Now take the list of duplicates

In[5]:=
y = Select[x, Length[#1] >= 2 & ]
Out[5]=
{{{d1, e1}, {d1, e1}}, {{d3, e3}, {d3, e3}}}

and find the positions of the records which have duplicate pairs:

In[7]:=
Table[Position[records, {x1_, x2_, x3_, x4_, x5_,
     x6_} /; MemberQ[y[[j]], {x4, x5}]],
  {j, 1, Length[y]}]
Out[7]=
{{{1}, {4}}, {{3}, {5}}}

Now you can do whatever you want with the records with duplicate pairs (you
didn't specify whether you wanted to eliminate them altogether or just keep
one of them). If you want to keep just one of them, take

In[8]:=
Out[8]=
{{1},{3}}

and delete the rest. Sorry if this looks too elaborate, but it works.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City