Simple, syntactical question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48152] Simple, syntactical question
  • From: Olaf Skjaraasen <olaf at cluster.u-strasbg.fr>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 20:59:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,

my problem is a simple one, but please bear with me: Assume a function
f(x) whose x-dependence is different for different parts of the x-axis;
e.g.,
f[x_] := If[x<0,x^2, x^2 + Cos[x]];

I would like Mathematica to do the following: Given values y0,
x0, find x such that f[x]=y0, subject to the condition x>x0.

What is the syntax to be used to tell Mathematica to restrict itself to
x>x0 when solving the equation, whether with Solve, NSolve, FindRoot or
DSolve?

Cheers,
Olaf