setdirectory doesn't work.anymore

hello group.

a strange thing.

below works fine.

In[138]:= Directory[]
Out[138]= C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\5.0

but if i go,

In[139]:= SetDirectory["C:\Biology\temp"];

From In[139]:=
SetDirectory::cdir:
Cannot set current directory to C:\Biology\  emp.

i took out the t (C:\Biology\  emp) and added blank spaces in there to
show what i see on my screen.

That command used to work fine on my machine. so i thought maybe it
was the folder propperty, so i made sure the folder wasn't read-only
and it wasn't.

and the same code works fine on my home machine as well.

Did I somehow change the some type of global option someplace? how do
i change it back so that i can change the working directory?

any thoughts will be thoroughly appreciated.

thanks all in advance.

sean