padding numbers in front of uniquely generatd names

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48286] padding numbers in front of uniquely generatd names
  • From: sean_incali at yahoo.com (sean kim)
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 03:54:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

hello group.

below will do exactly what it';s supposed to do which is generate
unique file names.

StringJoin[Unique["plot"] // ToString, ".jpg"]

I wanted to pad 0's in front of my file names for the purpose of
sorting them in a folder by their names. without the 0's in front they
don't sort right.

i found this in the archive that does sort of what i want to...

With[{i = 1}, "data-" <> ToString[PaddedForm[i, 3, NumberPadding
->{"0", "0"}]] ]

or

Table["data-" <> ToString[ PaddedForm[i, 3, NumberPadding -> "0"]],
{i, 0, 20}]

above work fine for making the names upfront then assigning them to
pictures, but what if i wanted to generate them as the algorythm runs.
now i thought this was gonna do it...

StringJoin[ToString[ PaddedForm[ Unique["plot"], NumberPadding ->

but no, above is exactly the same as what I had before.

Without using Table, or With, how do i change it so that above will
generate unique names with 0's padded?

any thoughts will be most appreciated.

thanks in advance

sean