Re: Eigensystem: different solution in V5.0 and V4.1 ??
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg48342] Re: Eigensystem: different solution in V5.0 and V4.1 ??
- From: Marcus Stollsteimer <marcus314 at yahoo.com>
- Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 07:17:05 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Ivo bleylevens wrote: > question about some strange behaviour of the Mathematica's 5.0 > function Eigensystem. I have an 512x512 non-symmetric complex matrix > M. When i use the command eigsys = Eigensystem[M] in Mathematica 5.0, > the eigenvalues were not the eigenvalues I expected ! Hi Ivo, we had a similar problem some time ago: Mathematica 5.0 seemed not to be able to correctly calculate the eigensystem of complex hermitian matrices with more than 256 dimensions! (Up to 256x256 all worked fine.) We wrote to tech support, here the answer: support at wolfram.com wrote: > When I run this in 5.0.1 it gives the correct answers. > You have premier service so you should upgrade to 5.0.1 > and see if that fixes things. If it doesn't by all means let us know. > It will be a system specific problem as I am running OS X > and you are running Linux. Luckily, the upgrade did it. ;) HTH, Marcus -- Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is. -- Steve Martin