removing letters from alphanumeric data

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg48377] removing letters from alphanumeric data
  • From: charles.koehler at (Charles Koehler)
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 02:41:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am able to find and read in from a data header a particular variable
value, my difficulty is in my attempt to drop the letters that follow
the number I need to retrieve.

For example, I'll use Find to locate the position of the variable
"Temperature" and then store the value that follows it, however there
is generally a "C" or something after the temperature value, e.g.
"45C".  All I need is the value 45.

Also, If there is no entry at all is there a way to put a placeholder
value in it place, instead a Null.

Charles Koehler