Re: Removing non-numeric characters from a list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48446] Re: Removing non-numeric characters from a list
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 06:12:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 5/29/04 at 3:07 AM, charles.koehler at marquette.edu (Charles
Koehler) wrote:

>I found that what I need is slighty more complicated than the
>question I originally submitted.  How would I  remove all
>non-numeric characters from each item in a list.  This would
>require the removal of characters in the list with the exception of
>Character Codes equivalent  to the digits (0-9) and the decimal
>point.

The nature of the list you have isn't clear to me. If I want to discard non-numeric items from a list I use the function DropNonNumeric found in the package Statistics`DataManipulation`. But this function looks at the head of the elements, discarding things with heads String, Symbol etc. Your comments suggest you may be looking to retain strings that can be converted to numbers with ToExpression. If so, you will likely want something other than the functions in Statistics`DataManipulation`.