Re: closing notebook cells

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg51798] Re: [mg51762] closing notebook cells
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 02:05:42 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 02:52:43 -0500 (EST), Barthelet, Luc wrote:
> As I learned in mathgroup a few years ago I am using the following code
> to close automatically my graphics groups.
> CloseAnim[]:=(SelectionMove[EvaluationNotebook[],All,GeneratedCell];
> FrontEndTokenExecute["OpenCloseGroup"];);
> CloseAnim::usage = "CloseAnim[]";
> For example:
> Table[Show[Graphics[
> {Hue[Random[] ],Rectangle[{0,0},{1,1}]
> }]],{3}];
> CloseAnim[];
> The problem is that when I only generate a single cell "OpenCloseGroup"
> will generate a beep.
> Any idea on how to prevent that beep or test if GeneratedCell selected a
> single or several cells?
> Thanks
> Luc

LinkWrite[$ParentLink, CellInformation[EvaluationNotebook[]]];

If the length is greater than 1, then you can use the OpenCloseGroup token.

CellInformation[] is new to version 5 and is, in general, a very good way
to test various properties of the selection without having to do a
NotebookRead[] (which could get very expensive if you have a selection
which consumes a lot of memory).

John Fultz
jfultz at
User Interface Group