How to include images and graphics in Mathematica

How do one include graphics into mathematica without using Import[...]
and Show[]?
I've seen several Wolfram screendumps showing notebooks with images but no
input-line to insert the image.

The reason why I want this is to write design reports with images and math
in dosument with nice formatting.

Christopher Grinde