Re: covariance, eigenvalues

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg51861] Re: [mg51843] covariance, eigenvalues
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 01:49:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

The only problem here is the time needed to complete your computations. Size
is no problem by itself. As an example, I took 130 samples of a vector of
length 1,500 (i.e., one-tenth of what you want), and used the inbuilt
function CovarianceMatrix. It took about 117 seconds on a 2GHz machine with
512 MB memory.

<< "Statistics`MultiDescriptiveStatistics`";

x = Table[Random[], {130}, {1500}];

AbsoluteTiming[m = CovarianceMatrix[x]; ]
{117.Second, Null}

Same goes for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

{9.0000000 Second,Null}

{55.4531250 Second,Null}

If you increase from 1,500 to 15,000 you must expect a very considerable
increase in computer time to get your results.

Tomas Garza

Mexico City