Re: How to include images and graphics in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg51940] Re: How to include images and graphics in Mathematica
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:18:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <cmcl9k$i7a$1 at>, "David Park" <djmp at> wrote:

> One solution is to have a graphics generating Input cell but then close the
> cell. The cell will show as a very narrow blank cell with a small bracket at
> the right. The cell can still be evaluated and will produce the output
> graphics, which will display as usual.

My approach to this is as follows: I open the StyleSheet for the
Notebook, duplicate the full set of Input styles, and rename them to,
say, HiddenInput (Format | Show Expression is useful here). I leave the
"master" style of HiddenInput to be the same as Input but I modify the
"Printout" (and "Slideshow" style, if I'm using one) to include the
following options

  CellMargins->{{0, 0}, {0, 0}},

and also

if it is not there. In this way I can work in the Notebook, using
HiddenInput instead of Input for all cells I do now want to see in the
Printout or when I'm using the Notebook as a Slideshow.

> To open and close the cell use Menu/Cell/Cell Properties/Cell Open or select
> the cell bracket on the right and use Alt C R C.

To toggle between seeing the input and hiding I change from

  Format | Screen Style Environment | Working

  Format | Screen Style Environment | Printout

For an example of such a Notebook see the (largish ~5.2 MByte, because
of the images, including imported JPEGs) Notebook,

To: mathgroup at
> How do one include graphics into mathematica without using Import[...]
> and Show[]?
> I've seen several Wolfram screendumps showing notebooks with images but no
> input-line to insert the image.
> The reason why I want this is to write design reports with images and math
> in dosument with nice formatting.
> Christopher Grinde

Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia      (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at