Re: Pattern matching partial derivatives

Le Fri, 26 Nov 2004 06:16:46 +0000, David Bailey a écrit :
> Nicolas,
>
> Yes, getting this output from Mathematica can be a sign of damnation!
>
> Alternatively, look at this:
>
> D[f_, x_, Rule[NonConstants, nc_]] // FullForm
>
> 0
>
> If you want to manipulate derivatives in complicated ways, one way is to
> use your own notation for a derivative (say dD) which will obviously not
> evaluate, and then use dD ->D to get evaluation when you need it.

David,
thanks much for the tip, it appears to do the job indeed...
still I'm frustrated. Why couldn't we use patterns to manipulate partial
derivatives ? How can it be that, as you pointed out,

   D[f_, x_, Rule[NonConstants, nc_]] // FullForm

gives 0 ? This seems crazy to me...