Re: Variance of sample and whole dataset
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg51210] Re: Variance of sample and whole dataset
- From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
- Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 02:55:07 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
You can define a variance function thus:
and use it as in this example:
(-(1/9))*(a + b + c)^2 + (1/3)*(a^2 + b^2 + c^2)
"Uwe Ziegenhagen" <newsgroup at ziegenhagen.info> wrote in message
news:ck340j$b1j$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> with Variance[list] and StandardDeviation[list] I get the
> variance/std.dev for samples.
> Is there any builtin command for the variance of whole dataset (division
> by n, not by n-1)?
> mail to newsgroup at ziegenhagen.info is read only from time to time. If
> you need an urgent answer, google for me.
Prev by Date:
Re: Re: solve and simplify. force left hand side to be 0==
Next by Date:
Re: Re: Conveniently Restarting Notebooks
Previous by thread:
Re: Re: Variance of sample and whole dataset
Next by thread:
Sorting the Elements of a Non Rectangular List