Re: cross-product in cylindrical problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51276] Re: cross-product in cylindrical problem
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 01:57:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <ckbbef$qbj$1 at smc.vnet.net>, "news" <anonym at bamboo.com>
wrote:

> I'm really puzzled by this behavior of Mathematica, I have two vectors in
> cylindrical coordinates and would like to take their cross-product in
> cylindrical, but it seems to give me incorrect answer, see below:

Andrzej Kozlowski has answered your question. Actually, it is a FAQ. A
search at http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/ on the key words

   cylindrical coordinates cross product

will turn up a number of relevant responses.

You many find the Symbolic Vector Analysis package developed by Hong
Qin, which deals with arbitrary vector objects, useful. It is available
at http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/pub/Mathematica/Calculus/

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul