Corrupted file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51465] Corrupted file
  • From: Steve Gray <stevebg at adelphia.net>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:50:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I executed a working notebook which had written several thousand
lines of text output at the bottom of the notebook. When I saved it I
accidentally answered Yes when it asked whether I wanted to save the
changes. All the changes were the text output it had written, which
I have already written to a different file, so I didn't need them.
When I wanted to  open the same file, it said something about a format
error at line 32868, and displayed a few characters it didn't like. I
removed them with Mathematica but the file will not execute. Also it displays
in the pure text form so it's very hard to know where in the file that
I recognize the error(s?) begin. I would like to restore in readable
form the file up to the error(s) so I can reconstruct the rest of it,
but I don't know if or how this is done. I can't  work with the file in
the pure text form. I'd be grateful for any help.

Steve Gray