Re: Simple question sabout setting directory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51468] Re: Simple question sabout setting directory
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:55:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 10/17/04 at 9:49 PM, ds2081 at columbia.edu (Daohua Song) wrote:

>(1)Everytime i load a math.nb file, i want it to set the directory to
>be the same one where the file is. e.g. Once you load c:\math.nb, the
>defalut directory will be set to c:.  (so i can manage the .nb file
>and other data file in the same direcotry )

The following function will return the directory name where the notebook file is stored.

NotebookDirectory[]:=
    DirectoryName@ToFileName["FileName"/.NotebookInformation@EvaluationNotebook[]]

I have this as part of my init.m file that gets executed at the start of every session. Then to achieve what you want all I do is

SetDirectory@NotebookDirectory[]

at the begining of the notebook file

I omitted your second question since it deals with how Mathematica runs under Windows. Since I use a Mac, I've no idea how to achieve the desired response with Windows. On a Mac running OS 10.3 what you want can be achieved with Expose.