Re: can't MATHEMATICA simplify simple expressions?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg51539] Re: can't MATHEMATICA simplify simple expressions?
- From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
- Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:21:07 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
You need to constrain the domain of a if you want to get the simplification you seek (which is NOT correct in general). FullSimplify [ (a^2)^(3/2) ,a>0] does what you want. Steve Luttrell "Cole Turner" <REMOVEcole.tuner at liwest.at> wrote in message news:cl4tg0$8g7$1 at smc.vnet.net... > if I enter: > > FullSimplify [ (a^2)^(3/2) ] > > (in correct MATHEMATICA syntax, the program does not yield the correct > result, a^3 ... > > why is that? > > thanks! > -- > Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights] > "Just kidding." > ('Airplane!', 1980) >