Re: 3D plotting problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg51743] Re: 3D plotting problem
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:17:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On 10/30/04 at 3:47 AM, Henning.Heiberg-Andersen at (Henning
Heiberg-Andersen) wrote:

>I find myself unable to make a 3D plot of the atomic 2p orbital

>As far as I can understand, 'ContourPlot3D' is the only option, but
>it gives either an empty plot box or a flat sheet.

>Can anyone suggest a way out?

You did not make it clear exactly what you tried to plot. If it was the expression you posted, then try re-writting your function as

f[x_, y_, z_, a_] := z*Exp[-a*Sqrt[x^2 + y^2 + z^2]]

Here, I've eliminated the _z from the function name as Mathematica doesn't allow underscore characters in function names f_z is interpeted by Mathematica to be any expression with Head z given a name f, not what you want.

Changed the "(" to "[" to corespond to proper Mathematica syntax

dropped 2p from the arguements since it does not appear on the rhs

added a underscore to all of the other arguments. Using x_ is interpreted by Mathematica as being any valid expression and is given a local name of x

Replaced Set ("=") with DelayedSet (":=")