How to solve a simple Trig cofunction?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg50500] How to solve a simple Trig cofunction?
- From: bfeeny at mac.com (Brian Feeny)
- Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 05:14:59 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Lets say I have: cos[X+4] = sin[3X+2] What would be the proper way to solve the above, for X, in Mathematica, with the answer in degrees? I did this, but something tells me their has to be a better way: NSolve[Cos[X Degree +4 Degree] = Sin[3 X Degree+2 Degree], X] I mean, I wish i didn't have to enter "Degree"so many times, perhaps their is a simple way to just tell it the whole thing is in Degree. Additionally, is their a way to constrain the above to 90 > X > 0? I tried doing like: NSolve[Cos[X Degree +4 Degree] = Sin[3 X Degree+2 Degree], X /; 90 >X>0] but that obviously is not the right way since that doesn't work. Appreciate all the help. Brian