Re: Re: Forcing a Derivative

Your answer, and those of others, just reinforces my complaint about
this limitation of Mathematica today.  Why should one have to introduce
what is, from a modern mathematical point of view, an extraneous extra
variable, "x"?

A function f is an object; an "expression in x" such as f[x] is quite
another.  Or at least it should be!

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305