Re: Re: Forcing a Derivative

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg50793] Re: [mg50778] Re: Forcing a Derivative
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:49:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Your answer, and those of others, just reinforces my complaint about
this limitation of Mathematica today.  Why should one have to introduce
what is, from a modern mathematical point of view, an extraneous extra
variable, "x"?

A function f is an object; an "expression in x" such as f[x] is quite
another.  Or at least it should be!

Klaus G wrote:

>>Derivative[2][f * g]
>>just puts a couple of primes on the product rather than actually computing the dervative.
>>Thanks for any insight.
>>Cheers, Scott
> Hi,
> f is NOT f[x], so please try: