Re: Re: Re: Forcing a Derivative

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50800] Re: [mg50793] Re: [mg50778] Re: Forcing a Derivative
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at akikoz.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:10:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

But one does not need to introduce x in f:

f[x_]:=x^3

Derivative[2][f]

6 #1&

No x was needed.

As has been pointed out already a number of times, what is not
implemented by default is the algebra of complex  functions, that is,
if f and g are functions then 2f + 3 g or 5 f*g are not considered by
Mathematica to be functions. One reason for that maybe that in
Mathematica the notion of a "function" is broader than in Mathematics.
In any case the algebras of functions and operators are easy to
implement oneself and this has already been done more than once on this
list.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Chiba, Japan
http://www.akikoz.net/~andrzej/