Simple questions with Complex Numbers
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg50876] Simple questions with Complex Numbers
- From: "Sunil Pinnamaneni" <pinnama at cims.nyu.edu>
- Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:55:19 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I'm having difficulty getting mathematica to do simplifications with Complex
Numbers. For instance,
z = s+ I t;
zbar = s- I t;
Is there any way to get Mathematica to yield the result 1/(s^2 +t^2) without
the Re? It seems like Mathematica should have been programmed to do easy
simplifications using Complex Numbers.
I'm interested in finding the Real part of expressions like 1/z^5, but
Mathematica doesn't seem to want to multiply the denominator by the
conjugate, and carry out the simpification.
Can Mathematica do such things, or does one have to specifically program it
to handle these simplifications.
Prev by Date:
Re: Arg[z] that works with zero argument?
Next by Date:
trouble getting Mathematica to work remotely under X-Win32
Previous by thread:
Re: help on Rewrite rules
Next by thread:
Re: Simple questions with Complex Numbers