Re: Hyperbolic function identity
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg50973] Re: Hyperbolic function identity
- From: carlos at colorado.edu (Carlos Felippa)
- Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 04:52:21 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
carlos at colorado.edu (Carlos Felippa) wrote in message news:<cjasqk$ns0$1 at smc.vnet.net>... > Why > > FullSimplify[ArcCosh[1+z^2/2]-2*ArcSinh[z/2],z>0]; > > does not evaluate to 0? My apologies for the wording of the question. Of course I know all those coaching tricks and gyrations. I have been using them since 1994, when I began with Mathematica 2.2 (which did not even had FullSimplify). I should have worded it like this: why is FullSimplify unable to perform its stated function from the data given, which is sufficient to carry out the reduction? Why are crutches like TrigToExp needed?