Union of Piecewise Functions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg55695] Union of Piecewise Functions
  • From: Pratik Desai <pdesai1 at>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 05:51:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hello All,

I am trying to compute a series solution for a PDE with a jump
discontinuity in the domain (Wave equation for a string with a damper
collocated inside the domain 0<x<l). Briefly,  I am trying to accomplish
these tasks:

I have series solution for the part 0<x<d
An1[t] is obtained by solving a first order ode in terms of time
phig1[x,n] is my spatial eigenfunction say Sin[n*pi*x/L]
sec3[n] is  some scaling (fouirer) coefficient (not a function of x,
ignorable for the present purpose )

Similarly for d<x<l

At d

Now I am trying to find the complete response by using Union,

(*not sure about this*)
d=0.4 (*assume*)

is there a better way to accomplish this, any ideas will be greatly
appreciated. I would like to plot these for different values of t to
check for convergence.

Thanks again,

Best Regards,

Pratik Desai