Re: file corrupted

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg55722] Re: [mg55680] file corrupted
  • From: Arturas Acus <acus at>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 03:20:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Sk, 2005-04-03 at 05:50 -0400, reiro wrote:
> Something happened to my computer when I was using mathematica. The info
> box informed me to open the corrupted file with open special without
> cache. I opened it and got the following:
> (***********************************************************************
>                      Mathematica-Compatible Notebook
> This notebook can be used on any computer system with Mathematica 4.0,
> MathReader 4.0, or any compatible application. The data for the notebook
> starts with the line containing stars above.
> To get the notebook into a Mathematica-compatible application, do one of
> the following:
> * Save the data starting with the line of stars above into a file
>    with a name ending in .nb, then open the file inside the application;
> * Copy the data starting with the line of stars above to the
>    clipboard, then use the Paste menu command inside the application.
> Data for notebooks contains only printable 7-bit ASCII and can be
> sent directly in email or through ftp in text mode.  Newlines can be
> CR, LF or CRLF (Unix, Macintosh or MS-DOS style).
> and so on.
> I did what they told and saved the file as notebook. When I clicked
> evaluate it shown some errors. What can I do to make it work?

I do managed to get work few corrupted notebooks (Mathematica versions 4.0,
4.1). But this strongly depends on what was  corrupted. In my case
for some unclear reasons a number of closing cells brackets vanished.
So the task was to find and put it there using plain text editor (vim,

Arturas Acus <acus at>