unable to compile function with Part as an argument

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55701] unable to compile function with Part as an argument
  • From: jules at julesfrancis.co.uk (Julian)
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 00:59:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Folks,

I have got a fairly complex program which I am trying to compile as it's
quite numerically intensive, but I am running into problems when passing
in a value that comes from an array.

I've boiled it down to a toy example which illustrates what is going wrong.
why the following code fails to compile?

In[1]:=
Developer`SetSystemOptions["CompileReportExternal" -> True]

Out[1]=
"CompileReportExternal" -> True

In[2]:=
f[x_] = Log[x]

Out[2]=
Log[x]

In[4]:=
Compile[{{v, _Real, 1}}, f[Part[v, 1]]]

From In[4]:=
Compile::"extscalar": "\!\(f[\(\(v \[LeftDoubleBracket] 1 \
\[RightDoubleBracket]\)\)]\) cannot be compiled and will be evaluated \
externally.  The result is assumed to be of type \!\(Real\)."

Out[4]=
CompiledFunction[{v},
  f[v\[LeftDoubleBracket]1\[RightDoubleBracket]], "-CompiledCode-"]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Julian.