local symbols inside Module

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55950] local symbols inside Module
  • From: OT <montoz at iol.it>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 05:26:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all, I have some problems in working with local variables inside
Module: I wrote this function:

RealLinearCombination[v_List]:=Module[{d,coeffs},
d=Legth[v];

coeff=Table[ToExpression["c"<>ToString[k]],{k,d}];

coeffs=coeffs/.Solve[eqns,coeffs];

]

The function works, but has a big limitation: the elements of the list
coeffs are not local symbols!

Since the elements of the list coeffs are not local variables, if I run
my function when I have already initialized a symbol like c3=Pi, say, I
get an error because mathematica tries to execute
Solve[eqns,{c1,c2,Pi,c4,...,cd}] since c3 has been already initialized
as a number.

So, my question is: how can I initialize a local list of symbols
{c1,...cd} inside a Module, when d is an argument supplied to the Module
itself?

Thanks for every answer!