Re: Re: SSH Remote Kernel on Windows - Can it be done?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56135] Re: [mg56112] Re: SSH Remote Kernel on Windows - Can it be done?
  • From: Igor Antonio <igora at wolf-ram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 03:52:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Antti Penttilä at smc.vnet.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You don't say what's the client machine, is it Windows too?
>
> If you have SSH working with keypairs so it doesn't ask password, the remote kernel connection should be possible (if you don't have any firewalls between the machines!).
>
> You could try to work you way towards the solution by starting the remote kernel first manually. In these cases, it might be best to define beforehand the port number for mathlink-connection. In the server end, the command could look something like this:
>
> math.exe -mathlink -LinkMode Listen -LinkProtocol TCP -LinkName 3500
>
> and in the client end, arguments to MLOpen could be:
>
> -LinkMode Connect -LinkProtocol TCP -LinkOptions MLDontInteract -LinkName 3500 at your.server.name
>
> Shell commend to launch kernel:
> Empty at this point.
>
> First start the serverpart manually, then try to start the remote kernel from mathematica. If this works, write the SSH-command with math.exe etc. to 'Shell command to launch kernel'-box. If it doesn't work, try to change the roles of the machines (Listen-Connect) and remember to start always first the one that 'listens'
>
> Antti

Bartlett,

You didn't mention what your client machine is.  Take a look at this new
FAQ:

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/kernel/configure/windows/rcmndwintowin.en.html

It describes how to connect a Windows to Windows machine using a Windows
  Admin resource kit component and requires both machines to be on a NT
Authentication setup (on domains, basically).

You can still use some of the information presented in there to connect
from <client machine> to your Windows host

For Mathematica 5.X, the option -LinkProtocol should be TCPIP (not TCP)
and the kernel and front end communicate over two ports.  If you're
going to specify the ports specifically, then you need to use:

-LinkName port1@server,port2@server

The only reason to specify the ports is if you are trying to get through
a firewall, which as Antti mentioned, need to be opened.

My suggestion is that you first turn off your firewalls and let
Mathematica decide what ports to use.  Once you get the remote kernel to
work, then worry about the details.

Good luck
--

Igor Antonio
Wolfram Research, Inc.

To email me personally, remove the dash.