Working with huge text files with mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56378] Working with huge text files with mathematica
  • From: Andrey Shevchuk <AShevchuk at Maplebank.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:16:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Everybody,

I face a problem when try to read in a huge data file with my Mathematica5.1

The file is approx. 4Gb large and was created by another Mathematica
application (So, I think Mathematica should be able to handle it).

Now, if I try to use Read on a stream from this file and it returns
EndOfFile and nothing else!
I checked the file with the HexEdit (an editor for huge files) and it is not
corrupt and has actually the data I need.

A similar file (from the same application) but 1Gb works perfectly.
Any ideas?

Does Mathematica have an internal limit for the file size (and if yes, can
one somehow override this option) ?

I would appreciate any feedback!