Re: Clearing the definitions saved by using the "Save" command

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg56574] Re: Clearing the definitions saved by using the "Save" command
  • From: Peter Pein <petsie at>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 03:20:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

TingYF at wrote:
> Hello All,
> This is got to be a silly question but I just can't think of the right
> key words that can help me find a solution on this list.  I was trying
> to save the definitions and contents of variables by using the Save
> command, and I cannot find a way to clear what I have saved.
> So now when I type
> !!test
> Mathematica gives the list of variables and definitions that I no
> longer need.  I tried ClearAll, quitting kernel, closing Mathematica and
> reopening it but none worked.
> Thanks a lot!
> Carol
Hi Carol,

!!test shows the contents of the file where you saved your definitions.
To get rid of it either delete it by mean of your OS or enter
DeleteFile[Directory[]<>"\\test"] in your Mathematica session.

To delete the definition assigned to a symbol either use
Clear[symbolname] or Remove[symbolname]

In[1]:= f[x_] := Sin[Pi*x];
In[2]:= ??f
  f[x_]:=Sin[\[Pi] x]
In[3]:= Save["test", f]; Remove[f];
In[5]:= ??f
  Information::notfound: Symbol f not found. More...
In[6]:= !!test
From In[6]:=
  f[x_] := Sin[Pi*x]
In[7]:= DeleteFile["test"]