Re: Mathematical link between two or more numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59198] Re: [mg59185] Mathematical link between two or more numbers
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <gardyloo at mail.wsu.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 00:42:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, Greg,

   I'm aware of some research which has been done in this subject
(Hofstadter's "Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies" -- published in
1995 -- gives some fascinating background), but I don't know about any
specific software packages out in the wild. However, there are some
great resources on the net; one of the best (at least for integer
sequences) may be found here:
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/ .  This database is
comprehensive enough that if you have a sequence of, say, small real
numbers, you may be able to find a common multiplier to get them all to
integers, or close to integers, and then have the database find THAT
generating function, then transform back into the non-integer numbers. A
friend an I have been challenging each other with number puzzles of the
form "whence did these numbers come?" and the online encyclopedia has
been extremely helpful for us.

                  Hope this helps,
                     Curtis O.

--