Re: Mathematica goes Bad

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59481] Re: Mathematica goes Bad
  • From: "Harold" <Harold.Noffke at wpafb.af.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 02:58:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Igor:

It is well known in software engineering that any large system is never
fully debugged.  The maintenance process either introduces more bugs,
or unexpectedly mucks up a larger process which uses code which is
debugged or extended in some "in the small" obvious way.

Dynamically bound code is very laborious to unravel when such
maintenance artifacts suddenly appear.  Statically bound code is _much_
easier on maintenance programmers trying to fix such problems.

Does anyone know if Mathematica's "Solve" functions are dynamically
bound or statically bound internally?  If they are all dynamically
bound, then unexpected results occurring after debugging or upgrading
are, I'm afraid, the rule of the day.  I've never seen a book or paper
which lists more than vague pablums to keep such problems from
happening.

Inputs from anyone else on this subject would certainly be of interest
to me.

- Harold