Re: Mathematica goes Bad

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59443] Re: Mathematica goes Bad
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 02:55:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Igor Touzov wrote:
> I am using Mathematica second year already, and found that each consequative
> version cuts off something good from what mathematica used to be.
>
> Contacting technical support only results in open ticket that never gets
> closed.
>
> Here some simple example you can run for youself:
> Timing[
> Limit[ (a ^2 k ^2 ArcTan[ ( (-a ^2 ) Cot[ [Theta]] - w y
> Tan[ [Theta]] ) / (a  @ (a ^2 +  ((w - y) ) ^2 + y ^2
> Tan[ [Theta]] ^2 ) )]
>  Sin[2  [Theta]] ) / (2 + 2 k ^2 Sin[ [Theta]] ^2 ),  [Theta] -> 0]] )
>
> It takes less then 1 ms on version 5.0, while for version 5.2 it will take
> forever (40.328 Second).
>
> Timing[
> Limit[ArcTan[ (a  ((a k - w + y) ) Cot[ [Theta]] + k y ^2 Tan[
>  [Theta]] ) / (y  @ (a ^2 +  ((w - y) ) ^2 + y ^2 Tan[ [Theta]] ^2 ) )],
> k ->  (+ [Infinity] ), Direction -> 1]] )
>
> It takes 76.782 Second is version 5.0, 100.187 Second in version 5.1.1 and
> 104.015 Second in version 5.2.
>
> Not to mention it gives you some absurd results as well:
>
> In version 5.0 computing following
>
> {Limit[ArcTan[k ], k -> + [Infinity], Direction -> -1],
> Limit[ArcTan[k ], k -> + [Infinity], Direction -> 1]} results in accurate
>
> {-(Pi/2), Pi/2}
>
> while doing the same in version 5.2 gives you absurd {(Pi/2), Pi/2}.
>
> I could continue with list of examples that shows much more. But it only
> proofs the fact that whoever makes these changes in old good mathematica
> should be discharged. If some day I will get response from technical support
> that contains something meaningful I will post an update. Till then I would
> advise every body not to trust in results you get.

Hello,

The reason that symbolic operations such as limits and integrals have
slowed down in later versions of Mathematica is that the software takes
a lot more care to get the right result - wrapping integrals in
conditions where necessary. In a sense, the slowdown hardly matters
because you only need to calculate a symbolic result once.

ArcTan is multi-valued, so Mathematica has simply picked a different
solution in the later version.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk