Re: GoTo between different cell

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59467] Re: [mg59430] GoTo between different cell
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 02:57:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ramiro,

Your approach does not seem to be the best. Having a many page routine is a
difficult way to proceed.

I think that GoTo and Label only work within a compound statement. You
couldn't go to a different cell.

Would it be possible to break your calculation into shorter proceedures or
routines that each do specific things, test out the proceedures and then
assemble them into an overall calculation?

I usually debug by putting temporary Print statement at strategic points and
then removing them when things seem all right. Sometimes I will put a Print
and then an Abort statement if I don't what to go beyond that point.

Using colored fonts, flags, and other such devices is just a complication
that is probably causing more trouble than help.

So I would try the 'divide and conquer' approach first. And try to use
functional programming whenever possible.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Ramiro dell'Erba [mailto:dellerba at casaccia.enea.it]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Dear Mathematica Gurus,
I have the following problem: working with repetitive operations I often
use the Do expression. Unfortunately the number of lines inside the Do are
growing (page and page) giving me a lot of notebook troubles (If I use
different colour and font the cell stop to work!) and difficulties to
follow the procedure in debugging phase (I need a lot of flags to check if
all is going good).
Therefore, also if it seems a quite prehistoric idea, I want to break my
computation in many cells and to back N times to a certain cell to evaluate
them, something like the GoTo function but between different cell (perhaps
tagged).
I know that sounds quite old but it is what I need.
Thank you in advance to everybody.
Ramiro

PhD. Ramiro dell'Erba,
Lab address:  ENEA  CR Casaccia
ENEA - Nuclear Fusion Division, Robotic Section
Edificio F65  Via Anguillarese 301, Roma 00060 Italy
Sacco Postale 088
Tel. 0039-06-30486128
Fax 0039-06-30486038
E-mail: dellerba at casaccia.enea.it
Home address: Parco Comola Ricci, 39  Napoli 80122  Italy
Tel. 0039-081-7691954
Handy:Tel. 0039-347-5041920
E-mail home:dellerba2 at iol.it