Re: Re: Cylindrical Surface

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59568] Re: [mg59502] Re: [mg59487] Cylindrical Surface
  • From: JOHN ERB <john_c_erb at prodigy.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:09:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dave,

I believe <<RealTime3D`
gets the package started
and <<Default3D`
removes it.

Thanks for your help

John C. Erb

David Annetts <davidannetts at aapt.net.au> wrote:
Hi John,

> If I know the {x,y,z} endpoints of the axis of a right
> cylinder, along with its radius --
>
> How can I show a transparent surface of the cylinder in 3D space?
> I would also like to be able to rotate the image real-time.

AFAIK, Mathematica dosen't do transparency. While it uses a
PostScript-based graphics system, you'd best look elsewhere (perhaps
MathGL3D?).

In any case, a basic cylinder is defined in Graphics`Shapes and it needs
only a radius & height. By default, it is drawn so that height is the
vertical coordinate. If you have a rotated cylinder, you'll need coordinate
transfomation routines in Geometry`Rotations. Real-time graphics are found
in RealTime3D`, but they screw up colour functions and you'll lose any
annotations you make.

Putting it all together,

Needs["Graphics`Shapes"]
<
cyl = Show[Graphics3D[Cylinder[]], Axes -> True];

Gives you a plot of a cylinder with a radius and height of 1 that you can
rotate to your heart's content.

Another caveat is that since I can never find <help, the only way I can remove the package is by killing the kernel. I
know there is a better way but I cannot for the life of me find it.

Regards,

Dave.